Monday, February 9, 2009

7. TRAINING PROGRESS

A BREAK-THROUGH!
Today I ran my 6 miles without slowing down to a walk even once! I've been following Jeff Galloway's method of interspersing running with walking sessions, but I've been thinking it's time to see if I could run the whole way, and today I did!

However, my time for the 6 miles was only 3 minutes less than the run/walk technique since I was purposely running slower to make sure I didn't get winded. I was able to finish the last half mile at super speed, so it looks like I had energy left, and now I'll focus on speeding up. Right now I'm just training for the 10K Valentine's Day Run this Saturday. Next week I'll step it up to 10 mile runs every other day in preparation for the half-marathon in Steilacoom on March 21st.

GREAT NEW ENERGY BAR
I have been depending on Gu's for energy, but I've found an energy bar composed of about 30 organically grown super-foods called Greens+, which also includes high energy herbal extracts and Chia seeds. It contains NO processed sugar, salt, corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, synthetic sweetners, preservatives or genetically-modified foods of any kind. I'm impressed with it's claims and though I haven't given them a real test yet, I think I'm noticing more stamina and holding power as I run. More info at www.greensplus.com/chia

PELVIC TRAINING NEEDED
Also, I've been noticing my lower back is the only part of me that hurts any more when I'm running. Guess I've finally zero'd in on the correct shoes and inserts for my needs. Well, the March issue of RUNNER'S WORLD has this neat article about the need to consciously exercise the lower back at home because unlike the leg muscles, which get trained during running, the lower back muscles need special off-track attention. It seems almost all common overuse injuries are related to lack of pelvic strength. So I'll be adding their suggested pelvic exercises to my currently non-existant home exercise routine!

1 comment:

Denise Mason said...

I'd be very interested to know if those back exercises seem to be helping. Keep me posted.
-Denise