My first race was the 2005 5K Turkey Trot here in north Tacoma, in a freezing drizzle, encouraged by daughter Diane and husband Kevin who flew over from Boise to join several other family members for the occasion. My time on that first race was 40 minutes. I've since run a 5K in 30 minutes.

Since then I've run three local 12K Sound to Narrows races, five 10K's, twelve 5K's, a duathlon, a triathlon, two half marathons plus my first marathon in Sept '08 over at Lake Chelan in eastern Washington, which I ran in 5:52. Lets see if I can improve on that!
My times haven't been fantastic, but my goal has been to cross the finish line, not first, just vertical. Surprisingly, I've been getting first and second places in my age group, due to the fact that few 70 plus year olds come out to race!
Kara, John, Craig, me and Audree after the Lake Samammish Triathlon Aug '08
Kara and John as well as Diane have been major promoters of my running career, hoping, I guess to keep Dad out of the bingo halls and out on the streets where they can keep an eye on him! John has run every one of my races with me so far and is planning on running as many of these marathons with me as he can, plus other runs on his own, plus hockey and skiing! He is MY HERO!
1 comment:
Dad, you are amazing! You sure have run a lot of races in the last few years. And you totally deserve those medals, even if you are the only one in your age group!
You are truly an inspiration to us all!
Post a Comment