Wednesday, August 19, 2009

17. REVISED RUNNING TECHNIQUE

TRAINING WITH AN AWESOME VIEW! I get to run along a ridge where for nearly three miles of my run, the view is from high above the world famous Chambers Bay Links Golf Course bordered along it's far side by a tiny Burlington Great Northern track humming with passing trains every few minutes, all silhouetted against the Puget Sound and framed along the edge of eternity by the beautiful Olympic Mountains. And at night the sunsets can be spectacular! Sometimes it's hard to turn around and head back home!



Just so you know I'm NOT SLACKING OFF off due to summer heat or old age or sumptin, tonight I managed 10 miles in 1:58 at an average 5 MPH, and av pace of 11:47. No great shakes, BUT, I've modified Jeff Gallaway's technique from - RUN one mile, WALK 1/10th of a mile - to walking 1/10th of a mile, every HALF mile, and what a difference!

My total time for a given distance has gone down, my average pace has improved and I really don't have pains in my lower extremities, with just an occasional exception, but it quickly goes away!

It's so much easier to make it to the next half mile for a break, than it was for a mile (which most of the time I never made anyway!) At the end of this ten miles tonight, nothing hurt! According to Galloway, those walk breaks give your running muscles time to rest and subsequently last longer.

Galloway claims that marathoners who consistently use the walk breaks DO NOT HURT THEMSELVES yet come in with great times. I'm all in favor! At least it's working for me on my regular training runs. I'll give it a good test on my next long run.



I don't know if you've ever noticed, but I run past a cemetery on my runs, and in the evening you can detect a distinct unusual smell in that vicinity. Interesting!!!



Someone suggested it was just me starting to smell ripe by that time which could very well be the case! We'll see if mom starts locking me out as I get back from my runs!

No comments: