Tonight I made it all the way through a 20 mile long run, by alternating running 4/10ths of a mile with a 1/10th of a mile walk. Towards the end it was getting harder to keep running, but the thought of that rest reward less than half a mile ahead kept me going! I know that my time of 4 hours for 20 miles is no great shakes, but FOR ME it would have been a lot worse without the motivation to keep going and suffering 'til that next break. Plus my feet and legs held up. My toes and calves started hurting but they calmed down during the breaks.
There were hills and distractions that slowed me some, but my average pace was about a 12 minute mile. I'll accept that, because I made it all the way to 20 miles and could have kept it up for another 6. The alternative could've had me lying on the road somewhere like a pile of road-kill hollering for someone to come drive me home!
I've signed up for the Lake Chelan Marathon again this year on Sat, Sept 19th, since I've had to drop out of so many of those planned ones, and there are very few that aren't on Sundays! Then Jared, Diane, John and I will be running the St George Marathon on Sat, Oct 3.
No comments:
Post a Comment